Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
· Drizzle of rapeseed oil
· 2 large tuna steaks
· 1 packet of on-the-vine cherry tomatoes
· 1 white onion
· 2 tbsp black olives
· 1 tbsp capers
· ½ lemon, juiced
· 2 tbsp olive oil
· 2 small cloves of garlic, crushed
· Sprinkle of sea salt and black pepper
· Handful of fresh parsley and basil
1) Place the whole onion in the hot charcoal and leave to cook for 15 minutes until blackened and crispy on the outside.
2) Oil the Barbecue Grilling Pan with rapeseed oil and warm either directly on the grills over a high heat, or straight on the coals.
3) Add the cherry tomatoes and grill for 5 minutes or until the bottom caramelizes.
4) Meanwhile prepare the salsa - Start by slicing half the olives in half, then adding to a small dish. Then add in the capers, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, seasoning and fresh herbs. Mix all the ingredients together well and set to one side.
5) Once the onion has blackened around the skin, remove from charcoal. Peel off the black skin and finely slice the soft centre of the onion. If you would like you can return the onions to the Barbecue Grilling Pan to brown further.
6) When the tomatoes are ready, remove from the pan and place on your serving plate.
7) For the tuna steak, make sure your Barbecue Grilling Pan is hot and well oiled. Place the tuna steaks onto the pan and sear, using the BBQ tool to flip when necessary. Make sure you season each side of the steak well with salt and pepper.
8) Cook according to your desired level: approximately 1 minute on each side for Rare, 1 minute 30 seconds for medium rare (providing your Kadai is hot enough).
*You can often measure how cooked your steak is by looking at the pink centre on the outside of the tuna*
9) When cooked to your satisfaction, remove the tuna steaks from the heat.
10) Prepare the plate starting with the steaks, then cover with the onions and tomatoes before adding a generous topping of the salsa.
11) Serve hot or cold and enjoy!