Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 60 minutes
- 1-1.25kg ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium onion
- 1 small carrot
- 1 celery stick
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- Good pinch of sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 pints hot vegetable stock
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters and slice off any hard cores. Peel the onion, garlic and carrot, then chop them into small pieces along with the celery stick.
- Heat the olive oil in the Cooking Bowl over the Kadai fire.
- Tip in the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and cook until the vegetables are soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add in the tomato purée and tomatoes and mix together.
- Sprinkle in a good pinch of sugar, season with black pepper and add the bay leaves.
- Stir everything together, cover with the Cookware Lid and let the tomatoes stew for about 10 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable stock, stirring at the same time.
- Lower the Cooking Bowl closer to the flame and bring your soup to the boil. Once boiling lift the Cooking Bowl away from the flame and cover with the Cookware Lid again - cook gently for 25 minutes.
- Remove the Cooking Bowl form the heat and fish out the bay leaves.
- Use the Ladle to transfer it into a blender and blitz the soup until smooth.
- Pour the smooth soup back into the Cooking Bowl and reheat over the flame for a few minutes. Season with salt, pepper and sugar if needed.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.