Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 135 minutes
- 2 chillies, deseeded if you want a milder spice
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 350g chuck steak
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 3 tbsp. tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml chocolate stout beer
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 400ml chicken stock
- 1 tin of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 35g milk chocolate
- 2 tbsp. lime juice
- Sour cream, avocado and roughly chopped coriander, to garnish
- Heat your Cooking Bowl over your Kadai. Add chillies and cook until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer the chillies to a bowl and cover with 400ml of boiling water and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Put chillies and 100ml of the soaking water in a blender with cocoa powder, oregano, cumin, paprika and cinnamon and blend until smooth. Set sauce aside.
- Add the oil to your Cooking Bowl and whilst it heats up season your chuck steak with salt and pepper. Fry the steak until browned on all sides, about 4-6 minutes, then transfer to plate.
- Add garlic and onion to your Cooking Bowl and cook until golden, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato puree until it is slightly caramelised.
- Pour in the chilli sauce and reduce down.
- Then return the beef to the bowl, plus the chopped tomatoes, beer, brown sugar and stock. Cook until the beef is very tender, 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in pinto beans, chocolate and lime juice with some salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls with coriander, sour cream and avocado.