Preparation time: 75 minutes
Cooking time: 130 minutes
- 2 tbsp whole black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves
- Handful wild garlic, chopped
- Small bunch fresh tarragon, chopped
- Handful fresh sage
- Small bunch fresh chives, chopped
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 whole chicken
- For the marinade put peppercorns, garlic and a pinch of salt into a pestle and mortar and start working it into a paste.
- Add in wild garlic, tarragon, sage and chives, working and breaking down the herbs between each addition.
- Finally, add the zest and juice of the lemon and oil – the marinade is finished once the herbs have turned dark green in colour.
- Score the chicken on the thickest parts – two in both breasts and one across each drumstick and thigh. Place the chicken in a bowl and pour the marinade over, working it into the incisions. This should be done at least an hour before. If you do it the day before , keep it covered in the fridge overnight and take it out one hour before cooking.
- Secure the chicken in the Tripod Roaster and hang on the Cooking Tripod.
- Turn the Tripod Roaster every 15 minutes, so it cooks evenly.
- Cook for around two hours – if you have a probe thermometer then place it in the meatiest part and anything around 72 degrees is good.
- Take the chicken off the heat and let it rest.
- Whilst it is resting grill some spring vegetables and serve.