How to light your Kadai:
Requirements to light a Kadai:
· Sharp sand
· Charcoal (prferably lumpwood)
· Heat resistant gloves
· Safety glasses
· Blow Poker(not necessary)
Lighting the Kadai with kindling and charcoal
2. Make a ‘Jenga’ effect with the kindling
3. Place a firelighter in the middle of each ‘Jenga’ – then light the firelighters. (At this step its recommended to wear gloves and safety glasses)
4. Then put one piece of kindling between each ‘Jenga’ to link them all
5. Wait five minutes for the fire to get going, until you have a nice bed of heat
6. Hand load (wearing gloves) the lumpwood charcoal onto the fire until you have a good sized heap (remember charcoal will reduce in size quickly). For an all-day cooking event you would need a minimum of 10kg of lump charcoal)
7. Wait a couple of minutes for the charcoal to start glowing, if there are certain areas of the fire the charcoal isn’t glowing, blowing on the blow poker could aid this.
8. Once the fire is going strong place the grills inside the Kadai, and prepare to start cooking
Lighting the Kadai using the Charcoal Starter:
1. Must have between 2-4 inches of SHARP sand in the bottom of the Kadai (evenly spread out)
2. In a 27cm area within the centre of the Kadai place some scrunched up newspaper and a couple of firelighters (It’s recommended to use gloves while handling firelighters and charcoal).
3. Then hand fill the charcoal starter three quarters full of lumpwood charcoal (ensure there are no extra large pieces to charcoal inside)
4. Light the newspaper and place the charcoal starter over the top in the Kadai (place the two charcoal starter handles on the same side of the starter)
5. Wait around 20 minutes for the charcoal to be up to temperature, then pour the charcoal out of the starter onto the bed of sand
For your safety:
· Do not use indoors! The barbecue is for outdoor use only. If used indoors, carbon monoxide will accumulate and can cause serious injury or death. Do not use in garage, building or enclosed area. Do not use this barbecue under any overhead combustible construction.
· CAUTION! Do not use spirit or petrol for lighting or re-lighting! Use only firelighters complying with EN 1860-3!
· ATTENTION! This barbecue will become very hot, do not move it during operation.
· WARNING! Keep children and pets away.
Tip: Before lighting the Kadai, remove any build-up of ash or wet sand from the base of the bowl and replace with fresh dry sand.
We recommend the following care and maintenance:
· Your fire bowl will take on a natural rust finish; this is part of the character of the bowl.
· Periodically use wire wool on the bowl, stand and tongs to remove any loose rust.
· Regular oiling of the grill and bowl with vegetable oil will help to keep them in good condition.
· The grill is pre-coated with cooking oil that has been heated to cure it, similar to a wok, but this will burn off on the first use.
· After use it is advisable to clean the grill with a wire brush and hot soapy water, dry with a cloth and store in a dry place.
· We recommend that fire bowls are stored inside during the winter.
Your Kadai Firebowl is guaranteed for 1 year against manufacturing defects. This can be extended to 2 years by returning your warranty card or filling in the online form at www.kadai.com
The Wilstone conditions of guarantee only apply to material and/or construction faults already present at delivery. Excluded are defects arising from wrong or improper use of the Kadai Firebowl such as damage by corrosive substances, incorrect maintenance, repair by non- experts, as well as damages occurring from not following or incorrect use of the instructions.
If your Kadai Firebowl develops a warranty fault then it is your responsibility to return your Kadai to the place of original purchase along with the receipt.
To register your warranty with us please visit www.kadai.com and go to the Information section at the bottom of the home page.
We are always keen to hear your views about Kadai Firebowls and welcome any comments or photographs. Please contact us on (01694) 771800 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Kadai Firebowls is a registered trademark of Wilstone House & Gardens Ltd.